The best beach hotel in Europe in 2017 is in Greece. So too is the best family resort and the best new resort.
Those were just some of the regional awards picked up by Greek enterprises at the 2017 World Travel Awards Europe Gala Ceremony held in St Petersburg on September 30.
The Greek Hotels Named Best in Europe
Specifically Porto Zante Villas & Spa beat out the international competition to pick up the prize for Europe’s Leading Beach Hotel, 2017. The 5-star hotel on Zakynthos was also named Europe’s Leading Luxury Hotel & Villas, beating out another Greek nominee in the category, Amanzoe in Porto Heli.
In the Peloponnese, Costa Navarino proved once again to be an industry leader by scooping Europe’s Responsible Tourism Award, beating out international competitors Norwegian Cruise Line, Starwood Hotels & Resorts and Virgin Atlantic Airways.
But it is the island of Crete that concentrates the most Greek winners of the European regional prizes. Domes of Elounda was named Europe’s Leading Family Resort, the first time the award has gone to a Greek resort.
In the same tourism hotspot, Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas was awarded the Europe’s Leading Resort Villas prize, while Elounda Bay Palace, won the award for Europe’s Leading Seafront Resort 2017 for the second year running.
Yet another Elounda-based resort picked up the award for the Mediterranean’s Leading Hotel: the Elounda Peninsula All Suite Hotel.
Also in Crete, Domes Noruz Chania, Autograph Collection picked up the award for Europe’s Leading New Resort.
Meanwhile the Athens Riviera was not left out of the top prizes, with Grand Resort Lagonissi named as Europe’s Leading Luxury Wedding Resort.
Aegean Airlines also repeated its success in 2014 and 2016, once again picking up the award for best regional airline.
Greece was also nominated in the category Europe’s Leading Destination, and Athens in Europe’s Leading City Break Destination. However those awards ultimately went to Portugal and Geneva respectively.
About the World Travel Awards
Dubbed the “Oscars of the travel industry”, the annual World Travel Awards were launched in 1993 to “acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all sectors of the tourism industry”. Each year award ceremonies are held celebrating the best of the travel industry across each region (Europe, Asia & Australasia, Indian Ocean, Latin America, Caribbean & North America, Africa and the Middle East).
The awards culminate in a Grand Final Gala highlighting the best travel businesses in the world. This year this is due to be held on December 10 in Vietnam. All of the regional winners will compete, hoping to be named best in the world.
Best in Greece
The European awards ceremony also includes countrywide categories. Below is the full list of the winning tourism businesses in Greece:
- Greece’s Leading All Suite Hotel 2017: Astra Suites Santorini
- Greece’s Leading All-Inclusive Resort 2017: Atrium Palace Thalasso Spa Resort & Villas
- Greece’s Leading Boutique Hotel 2017: Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
- Greece’s Leading Business Hotel 2017: Hilton Athens
- Greece’s Leading Car Rental Company 2017: Europcar
- Greece’s Leading Conference Hotel 2017: Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens
- Greece’s Leading Destination Management Company 2017: Mideast Travel Worldwide
- Greece’s Leading Family Resort 2017: Sani Resort
- Greece’s Leading Hotel 2017: Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas
- Greece’s Leading Hotel Management Company 2017: HotelBrain
- Greece’s Leading Hotel Residences 2017: Avaton Luxury Villas Resort
- Greece’s Leading Hotel Suite 2017: Presidential Suite @ Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens
- Greece’s Leading Luxury All Suite Hotel 2017: Andronis Luxury Suites
- Greece’s Leading Luxury Boutique Hotel 2017: Katikies Hotel
- Greece’s Leading Luxury Hotel Villa 2017: Royal Blue Mansion @ Mykonos Blu Grecotel Exclusive Resort
- Greece’s Leading Luxury Private Villa 2017: Conte Marino Villas
- Greece’s Leading Resort 2017: Nikki Beach Resort & Spa Porto Heli
- Greece’s Leading Travel Agency 2017: Beleon Tours
- Greece’s Leading Villa Resort 2017: Santa Marina, a Luxury Collection Resort, Mykonos