Part of the appeal of the souvenir worldwide is undoubtedly the kitsch element. Few travelers expect quality or design when it comes to mementos from their trips. In fact, they often purposefully seek out the silliest or most useless trinkets to remember their trip by. In Greece, we can pride ourselves on offering tourists a great variety of souvenirs. Inspired by our rich history and mythology are the arm-crossed Cycladic statuettes, goggle-eyed owls and stern looking philosopher busts. There’s also our version of the ridiculous, like wooden phalluses as key chains or bottle openers. If, however, you are fed up with cliché souvenirs and want to surprise your friends and family with something classy and contemporary, there are many Greek designers who are seeking to redefine the souvenir, by drawing inspiration from the past without, however, trivializing it. Here are just a few of their creations.
Souvenirs to Impress
10 original souvenir ideas, created by Greek designers, that are bound to astound.
Maria Coveou | October 21st, 2015
FORGET ME NOT: 100 Adrianou
• Tel.: (+30) 210 325.3740 • www.forgetmenotathens.gr
MATALOU AT HOME: 5 Ipitou, Plaka
• Opening hours: Mon-Wed-Sat 12:00 – 16:00, Tue-Thu-Fri 12:00 – 16:00 & 17:30 – 21:00
SKOUMOKY: 9 Lebessi and Porinou
• Opening hours: Tue-Thu-Fri 11:00 – 20:00, Wed-Sat 11:00 – 17:00
• Tel.: (+30) 210 924.9896 • www.skoumoky.com
KOUKOUTSI: 81 Skoufa
• Tel.: (+30) 210 361.4060 • www.koukoutsi.net