THE LOST UNICORN
The Lost Unicorn is a hotel that, despite being located in the center of the village, succeeds in keeping its guests contentedly ensconced in its interior. Enjoy a stay in one of the 8 well-cared for double rooms and relax in the attractive common area with its ever-burning fireplace, large piano, enormous bookcases, and furnishings and decorations that have found their way to Pelion from all around Greece, the UK and the US. Claire and Christos are welcoming hosts with the latter eager to cook his specialties for guests and visitors alike: exceptional steaks, confit of duck and roast lamb with rosemary.
• Price range: From € 80 depending on the season and number of nights with a rich, homemade breakfast included
• Locations: Tsagarada, Pelion, Thessaly, tel. (+30) 24260 49930
ART MAINALON HOTEL
The Art Mainalon Hotel first opened its doors in early 2014 and is a unique hotel-cum-art gallery with each of its 50 rooms as well as its common areas decorated with paintings and sculptures created by Greek and foreign artists. Each of its well-appointed rooms features a synthesis of traditional and modern artistic elements, together with views over the Mainalos mountain range, the nearby village and outdoor swimming pool. For those planning to stay in, be sure to try the in-house ‘Deipnosofistes’ restaurant.
• Price range: From 95 euros for a simple double room with breakfast
• Location: Vytina, Mountain region of Arcadia, Peloponnese, tel. (+30) 27950 22200 / 22217, (+30) 6946 366 456
An atmospheric hotel with 7 luxury suites and chalets with views over the peaks of the Pindos mountain range. All of the rooms have wooden floors, spacious living rooms with fireplaces and high quality beds, while the two-floor chalets have fully equipped kitchens and one, two or three bedrooms each with en suite bathrooms. Activities such as mushroom and truffle hunting outings are frequently organized together with corresponding tasting events in the evenings.
• Price range: From € 100 for 2 people with breakfast
• Location: Vitsa, Zagorochoria, Epirus, tel. (+30) 26530 71076
A new offering in the area of Karpenisi (about 5 km from the center of town) Oniropetra consists of a complex of three buildings in which wood and stone feature prominently, with the materials combined brilliantly according to a modern design aesthetic. Enjoy a stay in one of the four different types of suite, some of which have fireplaces and all of which feature balconies with a view over the Velouchi mountain. The hotel also has a restaurant, café and bar, and outdoor and indoor children’s play areas with the latter equipped with board games and videogame consoles.
• Price range: From € 75 with breakfast
• Location: Thesi Amblas, Karpenisi Evritanias, tel. (+30) 22370 21112
Located in one of the quietest parts of the often busy village of Arachova on the road towards Delphi, the Mylonas guesthouse consists of 7 very warm rooms and apartments with independent heating and fireplaces. All of the rooms have been decorated by the daughter of the owners who is a painter with a workshop in the village. Adding to the very hospitable atmosphere is the superb breakfast which one can enjoy until midday and which is all prepared by Mrs Maria, the matriarch of the family.
• Price range: € 60 – 100 for a double room with breakfast
• Location: Arachova, Parnassos, Central Greece, tel. (+30) 22670 32111 / (+30) 6977 956 055