Baked in the oven, a sfougato is lighter than an egg dish that’s been fried. You can substitute extra feta cheese for the ladotyri (cheese preserved in oil) if you can’t find the latter.
Put the grated zucchini in a colander, salt lightly and leave to drain for around 10-15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180o C/ 350o Squeeze the remaining liquid from the zucchini and place the zucchini in a bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Grease a baking dish with some olive oil and sprinkle some breadcrumbs to line it. Spread the mix evenly and top with more breadcrumbs and 2-3 tbsp grated ladotyri, or substitute an equal amount of feta.
Bake for 40-50 minutes until the egg mixture has set and the top is lightly browned. Serve warm with some slightly chilled full-fat Greek yoghurt.
This recipe was previously published in Greek at gastronomos.gr.
Servings: Enough for a 36 cm baking dish
- 2 kg zucchini, grated
- 8 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 medium-sized onions, grated
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup dill, finely chopped
- 250 gr feta cheese
- 120 gr Mytilini ladotyri cheese, grated, plus 2-3 tbsp for topping
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs, plus a bit more for lining the baking dish and for topping
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 100 ml olive oil, plus more for greasing the baking dish
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper