In a large frying pan with a lid, heat half the olive oil and sauté the garlic with the mussels and ouzo. Cover the pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the mussels open. Discard any that don’t.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the mussels to a separate dish and set aside. Place the liquid in another bowl and set aside. Wipe the pan with a paper towel and put back over the heat. Sauté the peppers in the rest of the olive oil. Add the liquid from the mussels, simmer for 2-3 minutes, then mix in the mustard and seasoning for an additional 3-4 minutes and simmer.
Add the feta, give it a minute to melt, and then the mussels. Mix and serve immediately in a deep bowl, with fresh bread on the side.
- 1 kg fresh mussels, well cleaned
- 250 gr feta, roughly cubed
- 2 tbsp mustard of your choice
- 2 hot green cow-horn peppers, seeded and finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped, or ½ tbsp dried
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp boukovo red pepper flakes
- 40 ml ouzo or dry white wine
- Salt, pepper